The four Chicago firefighter’s family members perished in a blaze on the city’s Northwest Side.
According to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office, the two remaining children, a 2-year-old boy and a 9-year-old girl, who had been hospitalized since the Montclair house fire on Tuesday night, passed away on Friday night.
Both Summer Day-Stewart, 36, the wife of CFD firefighter Walter Stewart, and Ezra Stewart, 7, the couple’s kid, died in the fire on Wednesday, as reported by the medical examiner.
The other two kids’ names have not been made public yet. At about 9 o’clock that night, a fire was reported in the 2500 block of North Rutherford Avenue. Everyone inside the house experienced heavy smoke inhalation.
On Wednesday morning, the body of a family pet was spotted being taken from the property.
We have reviewed some top articles on crashes and incidents near you. If you want to read more, follow the links:
- In Greece, At Least 36 People Were Killed When Two Trains Collided
- 1 Killed, 3 Injured, Including a Toddler, After a Horrific 2-car Crash in North Hollywood
- At least 2 Died and 5 Injured in High-speed Car Crash in Rio Bravo
According to CFD spokesman Larry Langford, the firefighter at Truck 55 in Edison Park responded quickly when he heard his address come over the scanner. His fellow firefighters clustered around him in solidarity.
Chicago firefighters’ charity Ignite the Spirit has set up a fund to help the family.
After every fatal fire in Chicago, fire authorities distribute smoke alarms and other fire safety materials. As we approach the time change weekend, it’s a good idea to do routine maintenance like checking batteries and turning on/off any automatic lights or appliances.
WGN TV News tweeted on March 12, 2023. Further information is available in the complete tweet provided below-
Two more children who were critically injured in a house fire at a firefighter's home in Montclare earlier this week died Friday evening, further echoing the pain and grief being felt throughout the Northwest Chicago neighborhoodhttps://t.co/tDwo1uImD5
— WGN TV News (@WGNNews) March 12, 2023
CFD said that smoke alarms were present in the burning home. Investigators are currently seeking to ascertain what started the incident. Although the cause of the fire is still being looked into, investigators refuse to speculate on whether or not it was intentionally set.
Please stay connected with us on Nog Magazine for the latest breaking news.