On Friday, actor Alec Baldwin filed a lawsuit against the armourer and three other crew members over the deadly shooting on the set of the Western movie “Rust.” Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was killed by a gun that Baldwin was using during rehearsal.
Baldwin’s lawsuit was filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court as a cross-complaint in response to a previous lawsuit in which a different member of the crew named Baldwin and the others as defendants.
It is one of many lawsuits that came out of the tragedy on October 21, 2021, which is also being looked into by the police and could lead to state charges in New Mexico.
Baldwin’s counter-complaint names armourer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, first assistant director Dave Halls, prop supplier Seth Kenney and prop master Sarah Zachry. Requests for defence statements from Gutierrez-Reed, Halls and Kenney’s lawyers have not been answered right away. Reuters was unable to find a lawyer for Zachry.
All four of them were also named as defendants in the original lawsuit, which was filed by a script supervisor who said that the filming had caused her a lot of emotional pain.
Baldwin’s counterclaim says that the defendant was negligent and asks for compensation for the “immense grief” he is going through.
“This tragedy happened because live bullets were brought to the set and loaded into the gun, Gutierrez-Reed didn’t carefully check the bullets or the gun, Halls didn’t carefully check the gun but said it was safe before giving it to Baldwin and Zachry didn’t tell anyone that Gutierrez-Reed had been acting recklessly offset and was a safety risk to those around her,” Baldwin’s cross-complaint said.
Luke Nikas, an attorney for Baldwin who works for the firm Quinn Emanuel, wrote the lawsuit.
Hutchins was killed when a real bullet came out of a revolver Baldwin was practising with while filming in New Mexico. The bullet hit both Hutchins and movie director Joel Souza, but Souza was the only one who lived.
In a TV interview, the actor said that he didn’t pull the trigger of the Colt.45 revolver, but after he cocked it, it went off.
The single-action revolver “worked normally” and would not fire without pulling the trigger, according to an FBI forensic test.
What do you think about our post? Leave a comment below.
Add this page NogMagazine.com to your bookmark for more updates.
Jessa Martin is the author of Nogmagazine, A professional in writing by day, and novelist by night, she received her bachelor of arts in film from Howard University and her master of arts in media studies from the New School. A Brooklyn native, she is a lover of naps, cookie dough, and beaches, currently residing in the borough she loves, most likely multitasking.